In less than 30 minutes, can you fathom moving from feeling scared, nervous, overwhelmed, and stressed to feeling calm, peaceful, joyful, and trusting? Not all fear is the same. Fear can be debilitating and immobilizing. Fear can also prompt us into necessary action. In this blog I’m referring to irrational fear.
- How can I let go of my fear?
- How can I open to love?
- How can I have more faith?
I remember imagining our baby being born with all of our family’s worst physical traits. When I held him for the first time, I was struck that I had completely forgotten about beauty. Our son is now a teenager, and I’m still in awe by his splendor. Why did I ever put energy into fear? Oh yes, soon he’ll be driving…
Feeling unwarranted fear is like being under a spell with no magic wand. The following seven tips for overcoming irrational fear are not magic, yet they work like a magic wand. If you’re feeling fearful, experiment with one or more of these tips, and you may be surprised at how quickly you may feel better.
- Breathe through your fear. Allow for your fearful feeling. Become fully present to the emotion.
- Consider your worst fear. Investigate a deeper fear underneath the anxiety.
- Explore an “if/then” scenario related to your fear. In other words, if your worst fear were to happen, then how would you cope?
- Rise above your fear. What can you learn from this experience? What possible gift is being presented to you?
- Choose 3 concrete ways that you can take care of yourself. For example, make yourself some tea, take a warm bath, and get to bed early.
- Begin to transform your fear by doing something to help someone else. Put your energy into “other-care,” a twist on self-care.
- Visualize being “coverwhelmed” instead of overwhelmed. “Coverwhelmed” is a term I coined whereby you’re covered in your higher power’s blanket. You’re safe.
IT’S ABOUT YOU:
- What eighth tip would you recommend for yourself or a loved one?
- How have past trepidations in your own life ended up as magnificent outcomes?
- If fear is interfering in your life, what options do you have for contacting a professional? Perhaps a psychologist or other counselor? A holistic practitioner? A massage therapist?!!!